MEMPHIS, Tenn. --
WHAT: Groundbreaking ceremony for the Commerce, Mississippi, Seepage Remediation Project and Clack/Norfolk, Mississippi, Seepage Remediation Project.
WHO: Desoto County and Tunica County Partners, Yazoo-Mississippi Delta Levee Board, Mississippi River Commission, and Memphis District, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
WHEN: Tuesday, August 25, 2020, at 4 p.m.
WHERE: North of the intersection of Bailey Road and Levee Road. See the attached map and directions.
WHY: The two seepage remediation projects consist of installing 60 relief wells, constructing an earthen levee berm, and modifying drainage ditches to reduce flood risk during high water events.
The Corps began work on July 15, 2020, and plans to complete both projects by January 2022. Congressional supplemental funding provided for disaster recovery is financing this project. The local partner is the Yazoo-Mississippi Delta Levee Board.
- Trotters-Rena Lara Directions (see map attached):
- From Highway US-61 S, turn right onto River Rd for 0.4 miles
- Turn left onto Main St., 404 feet
- Turn right onto MS-4 W/Fox Island Rd, 2.2 miles
- Turn left onto MS-4 W/Bailey Rd., 2.1 miles
- MS-4 Bailey/Levee Rd intersection
- Location is 500 feet north (RIGHT) of intersection
Release no. 20-060