The Mississippi Valley Division (MVD), U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and regional districts received numerous awards at the 2019 Society of American Military Engineers (SAME) Small Business Conference in Dallas, Texas, Nov. 21, 2019.
The SAME Small Business Awards is an annual awards program honoring the achievements and accomplishments of small businesses, individuals who work as advocates for furthering small business interests, and large businesses that work to strengthen and support small business.
Awards received by MVD and districts include:
- Top Small Business Division by 58.8% – Mississippi Valley Division
- Top Woman Owned Small Business Division by 15.8% – Mississippi Valley Division
- USACE Small Business Program $100 Million Dollar Club – New Orleans District, Vicksburg District, and St. Louis District
- Top Small Business District by 83.5% (3rd Place) – Memphis District
- Top Small Disadvantaged Business by 46.59% – St. Paul District
- Top Women Owned Small Business by 25.03% – St. Louis District
- Top Women Owned Small Business by 21.09% (2nd Place) – Memphis District
- Top HUBZone Small Business (3rd Place) - New Orleans District
- Districts that supported Small Businesses with 50%+: Vicksburg, St. Louis, St. Paul and New Orleans
- Military Personnel who provided tremendous support of the Small Business Program – Col. Steven Sattinger, Commander of the Rock Island District
- Contract Professional Honorable Mention – Monica Moody, with the Memphis District
- Manager/Engineer Honorable Mention – Jeff Dupont, Rock Island District
"MVD’s Small Business Professionals work extremely hard during the fiscal year to grow our industrial base by supporting our small businesses, which are the backbone of our economy, with maximum opportunities to participate on government contracts,” said Marlan Snodgrass, MVD Assistant Director, Office of Small Business Programs. “The yearly SAME SBC is a big factor in the ongoing success of these companies and its value exceeds all expectations, as it connects small businesses directly with federal government procurement decision makers, small business professionals, and contracting officers."
Lt. Gen. Todd Semonite, the 54th Chief of Engineers and Commanding General of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE), and USACE Command Sgt. Major Bradley Houston presented the awards to Maj. Gen. Mark Toy, MVD Commanding General, and Marlan Snodgrass, MVD Assistant Director, Office of Small Business Programs.
The Small Business Office of the Mississippi Valley Division is charged with developing and overseeing the organization’s relationship with small businesses. Small businesses are the heartbeat of the American economy and MVD is committed to helping the heart of all small businesses beat strong! MVD works to ensure a fair amount of contracts are placed with qualified small disadvantaged businesses, service disabled veteran owned businesses, and women-owned business. MVD is also committed to supporting small business development in Historically Underutilized Business Zones also known as HUBZones and with historically black colleges and universities (HBCUs) and minority institutions.
Release no. 19-011