Dr. Norma Jean Mattei is a professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the University of New Orleans. She was appointed for her first term as a Mississippi River Commission member on December 3, 2012. Mattei has served as past chair of the University of New Orleans Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering; as past interim dean for the University of New Orleans College of Engineering; and as assistant professor for the Louisiana State University Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering.
Mattei recently became the American Society of Civil Engineers’ 2016 president-elect. She was inducted at the society’s annual business meeting in October 2016 and will become president of the 163-year-old professional association in 2017, the third woman to serve in the prestigious office.
Prior to her academic career, Mattei worked for various firms as a design and project engineer, to include: Modjeski & Masters (bridge design), Guillot-Vogt Associates (AE, transportation and industrial design) and Linder & Associates (oil and gas production/drilling project management). Her soft research interests include diversity, licensure and ethics issues in engineering and engineering education. Technical research interests include management of large watersheds, testing of engineering materials and structures, sustainable reuse of spent construction/fabrication materials and residual stress measurement.
Mattei earned a bachelor’s degree in 1982 and a Ph.D. in 1994, both from Tulane University. She is a registered professional engineer in the state of Louisiana. Mattei is active in numerous state and local organizations:
• Member, Southeast Louisiana Flood Protection Authority Nominating Committee.
• Member, Council of Trustees, American Society of Civil Engineers Foundation.
• Chair, Outreach Committee, American Society of Civil Engineers, New Orleans Branch.
• Member, Planning Committee, American Society of Civil Engineers, Louisiana Civil Engineering Conference and Show.
• Member, Committee on Infrastructure, American Society of Civil Engineers.
• Treasurer, CORE Element Board of Directors, Executive Committee (STEM education).
• Policy Committee member, Louisiana Transportation Research Center Foundation Board of Directors.
• Board of Directors, Louisiana Technology Council (Louisiana workforce development).
• Judge and board member, Greater New Orleans Engineering and Science Fair.
• Installation leader, Order of the Engineer, each semester, University of New Orleans Link.
• Member, Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society, Louisiana Beta Chapter; advisor to Louisiana Epsilon Chapter.
• Advisor, University of New Orleans Student Chapter of the Society of Women Engineers.
• Member, Planning Committee, American Concrete Institute Annual Convention.
• Member, Executive Committee, SEI New Orleans Chapter.
• Emeritus Member, National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying.
• Emeritus Member, Louisiana Licensing Board for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors.